Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Introduction

The idea behind my starting a blog is that I may be fairly termed an expert in several areas of the general living experience, and, short of writing a book (which I may do someday ... just not today), a blog seems a great way to get my expertise out to a good portion of the general public (who can then decide for themselves if anything I have to say is worth a further price of admission).

For the most part, however, I will be writing on the following topics:

1. Surviving law school (and rising to the top 5% of your class) without driving yourself and others around you completely crazy;

2. Incorporating technology effectively into your law practice; and

3. Creating and maintaining a more or less "cat proof" home.

I'm not joking in the least about this last point. I am horribly allergic to cats, love them dearly, and live with 20 of them (as well as two beautiful dogs to which I am also allergic).

As for the first point, I graduated from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, in 1988 in the top 5% of my class. During law school I worked full time at American Red Cross in charge of "Reagent Production." I was on the Dean's List every quarter, won some prestigious scholastic awards, and was an editor on one of the school's law reviews. During that time I created a learning system which worked extremely well for me and which I hope I will be able to pass on to the readers of this blog.

In addition, during law school I became proficient at building computers, and after law school at implementing technological solutions to common problems facing law practices of all sizes. In 1992, having decided that big firm practice was not what I wanted, I started a solo practice in San Diego, California. In 2005, I moved my home to Texas, although my practice is still based in California. In that setting, it is imperitive to have technology work efficiently for me, so that I can best serve my clients while retaining a personal life.

So, there you have it. I won't be posting on just those three topics, because none of them exists in a vacuum. There will be technological tips in the posts about law school, and upholstry ideas in with the cat care. That's why I call it what it is: "Life: A Practical Survival Guide."

No comments: